Orlando Family Law Attorney
Hancock & Associates, P.A. provides advice and representation in divorce and other family law matters in Orlando and Tampa and across central Florida. Our comprehensive family law practice includes all aspects of divorce, as well as adoptions, surrogacy, LGBT family law, prenuptial agreements and domestic violence. Below is a brief overview of the firm’s family law practice. To schedule a consultation, or for immediate assistance with a Orlando family law attorney, call 407-894-0853.
- Orlando Divorce
- Child Time Sharing
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Relocation
- Child Support
- Domestic Violence
- Enforcement & Contempt
- Fathers’ Rights & Paternity
- Joint & Sole Custody
- Modification Of Court Orders
- Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
Divorce can be a stressful and emotional encounter. We strive to take the conflict out of the process and work to achieve an amicable divorce. In the case of a contested divorce where all matters cannot be resolved out of court, we provide strong, effective representation throughout the litigation process to protect our clients’ rights and interests in all related matters, including the following:
- Property Division – Florida law requires the judge to make an equitable (fair) distribution of marital property. We work to see that all assets and debts are properly characterized as either marital or separate property, and that all marital property is accurately valued. Knowledgeable representation is essential in high-value estates or where complicated property interests are involved, such as the valuation of a business or self-reported income.
- Alimony – Spousal support or alimony is not granted in every Florida divorce, but only if requested by one of the parties, who can prove that it is needed over any objections by the other spouse. There are several different types of alimony which can be ordered, from temporary payments to permanent support. We understand how to apply the unique factors to each type of alimony when seeking or opposing an alimony award.
- Child Custody (Parenting and Timesharing) – We work with you and your spouse to develop a residential timesharing schedule that reflects the needs of both parents and the children in a practical manner. If the matter cannot be resolved without court assistance, we make sure that your voice is heard and that your rights and interests are reflected in any timesharing schedule and parenting plan.
- Child Support – Child support in Florida is calculated according to a formula and statutory guidelines. We can help in this process by making sure that spousal income – the most important factor in determining the amount of child support – is reported completely and accurately, particularly in difficult cases where a spouse is self-employed, unemployed, underemployed or has complex business arrangements that create a complicated income picture. Additionally, we understand the factors that may justify a deviation from the guideline amount and can argue appropriately for or against a proposed deviation.
Helping individuals and couples start or grow their family through adoption is one of the most satisfying aspects of our family law practice. Unfortunately, the adoption process can sometimes be difficult, expensive or lengthy. We strive to minimize the time and expense of adoption while working through any complex legal and practical issues that may arise. Our office handles all manner of adoptions throughout central Florida, including DCF and private placement adoptions; second parent, stepparent and relative adoptions; international adoptions; and complicated legal issues such as contested adoptions or the termination of parental rights.
- Orlando Adoption
- Adult Adoptions
- Closed Adoptions
- ICPC Adoptions
- Independent Adoption
- Interstate vs. Intrastate Adoptions
- Placement Adoptions
- Pre-Planned Adoptions
- Same Sex Adoptions
- Termination of Parental Rights Pending Adoption
- Relative Adoption
- Stepparent Adoption
- St. Petersburg Second Parent Adoption
- Tampa Second Parent Adoption
We represent donors, surrogates and intended parents in surrogacy matters, a process that is often highly-complicated, stressful and emotional, but can also be highly rewarding. Many issues must be addressed in the surrogacy agreement for a successful relationship, including details such as visitation, contact after birth, medical coverage and compensation. Our firm handles all types of surrogacy arrangements, including gestational surrogacy, traditional surrogacy, egg donation and sperm donation.
- Orlando Surrogacy
We are well-versed and experienced in the full range of family law matters concerning LGBT individuals and couples, including marriage, divorce and adoption processes.
- Orlando & Tampa LGBT Law
Fathers and mothers each have important rights concerning their children. We represent individuals in the process of seeking or establishing paternity, which has profound consequences in areas such as parenting and timesharing, as well as child support.
Our firm negotiates, drafts and reviews prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, enabling marital partners to feel secure that they will be taken care of and not taken advantage of in the event of a divorce. Prenups can address the division of property, the payment of alimony, and a host of other matters, including important inheritance rights of children from a previous marriage. Prenuptial agreements can help couples enter into marriage with an enhanced feeling of security and peace of mind, but they must be drafted with the assistance of an experienced family law attorney to ensure they will be valid and enforceable if needed.
Abusive situations may lead to divorce, or they may first arise in the midst of a divorce or child custody dispute, where emotions and conflict may sometimes get out of control. Regardless, there is no excuse for domestic violence, and nothing is more important than the safety of a spouse, partner or child. We move swiftly to make sure a domestic violence victim is made safe immediately and has the protection of the courts through emergency injunctions and restraining orders. Where false accusations are made in the course of a divorce or custody case, we provide strong, effective representation to protect the rights of the accused in a family law situation.
Experienced Legal Representation for Your Orlando Family Law Matter
For comprehensive legal assistance in divorce and all Orlando family law matters, call Hancock & Associates, P.A. at our offices in Orlando and Tampa, at 407-894-0853.